People prefer chihuahuas over other pets because they are the tiniest dogs in existence which makes them easy to exercise compared to larger dogs. Whether she is apple or deer-headed, short or long-haired, your little chihuahua is certainly very cute with a unique personality. However, they are able to become overexcited very easily. As a chihuahua parent, you may find yourself frustrated with your dog that becomes exceeding hyper with no signs of slowing down. Therefore, you may ask yourself how to calm down a hyper chihuahua?
When a chihuahua is excited about something or has a negative feeling like frustration and nervousness, she may become hyper.
In this article we will cover the following elements:
- why a chihuahua may be super hyper?
- how to calm down your chihuahua?
- how to help a puppy handle things in a calmer manner?
Constant hyper behavior all-day
There are multiple elements around a chihuahua’s environment that can trigger their excitement and as a result, they lose their control. However, some chihuahuas can be hyper all day with steady energy. This type of behavior normally is a result of 3 leading elements, penned energy, boredom, and frustration.
There 3 reasons for this sort of behavior.
1. Penned energy–
Some people underestimate the energy that this dog breed has because of its size. Chihuahuas can spend a long period of time playing around the house to release their energy. You should put in mind that chihuahuas are not a lazy breed even with their size. If they didn’t receive enough of the daily exercises they need, their energy is going to bubble up and explode.
All dog breeds need to stimulate their senses, interact with others, and play. So if they are isolated there is a big probability that they will become exceedingly hyper. As a consequence, they will start to run in all directions, bark, jump, and lose control.
There are some elements in a dog’s environment that seem normal to you especially with a dog that doesn’t display anything. However, it’s just a question of time until they get frustrated. And as result, they will act very hyper and out of control to let out their frustration.
These 3 elements together can lead to all sorts of unwanted behaviors, such as excessive barking, jumping around, begging, etc.
Triggers and how to calm a chihuahua down
The word around chihuahuas is full of elements that can drive them crazy. here are some triggers to take into consideration and their solutions.
With the right training, chihuahua can handle children. However, some of them can’t get along with children especially senior chihuahuas. Children’s noise, touch, running can lead to snapping and barking.
- The chihuahua must have his private and quiet area, the area must still be close to the family. This private area is where the dog can go any time that he wishes.
Going to That area must be a positive thing and not a punishment. There must be what the chihuahua loves, like chews, etc.
- Set limits, teach children proper handling techniques, set them play-schedule with your dog.
- Control the beginning signs of becoming hyper before your chihuahua reaches his limits, lead him to his private area and instruct children to calm down.
while doing this your chihuahua will learn that he can control his environment and can choose to play and rest in a calm atmosphere.
YOU CAN ALSO READ Chihuahuas and Children. Can they get along?
2. Pent up energy
Despite its size, this breed has an incredible amount of energy. without having a way to expend this high level of energy your chihuahua can become very hyper. As a result, you will face some bad situations with your dog.
- Two daily walks are a must. if your chihuahua is hyper then you should take him to walk a minimum of 2 times per day. You have to use a harness, not a collar to avoid pressure on her neck.
- Try to do daily walks even if the weather doesn’t allow it. however, in order to keep your dog warm during cold seasons put protective clothes on your chihuahua.
Two walks per day prevent the dog from becoming hyper inside the house.
3. Foot traffic
If your chihuahua’s food area or toy area is too close to foot traffic, he may become very frustrated and hyper.
Sometimes the chihuahua has something that he considers his belongings, like some toys, beds.., and when he’s close to his belongings he may become so frustrated which leads him to become hyper.
This rule can be applied to the chihuahua’s food area.
- Find a good place for your chihuahua’s toy bin and try to show everyone in the house that it is the dog’s personal property.
- Place your chihuahua’s food area well away from where people sit or walk by. try to find a quiet place that can be better for your chihuahua.
4. lack of stimulation
it is common for dogs to have such a high energy level, for this reason, they need to stimulate their senses. In other words, they need to see, smell, chew and inspect things. They need also to interact with other creatures.
- have a weekly 30-minute adventure. take your chihuahua to adventure at least once a week to let his canine senses to use. This is a very effective way to calm your dog.
- Having multiple toys is an excellent way to avoid boredom and give your dog no time to become hyperactive due to frustration, boredom. As a dog parent try to carefully choose some quality toys that are can stimulate a chihuahua’s mind.
- 30 minutes a day of interaction. try to give 30 minutes from your daily schedules or from one of your family members to spend with your hyper chihuahua.
- During these 30 minutes, try to play some recommended games with your chihuahuas such as fetch.
Going for a walk without playing or without distraction in which the chihuahua is able to be mentally stimulated doesn’t count.
When you finished the session but your chihuahua is still hyper just let’s keep playing and in order to prevent this use a finishing word like “done”.
When you are inside the house, ignore any hyper behavior.
5. it is hard to calm down my chihuahua at night
There are some chihuahuas that have trouble calming down at night or they become more active when it’s time for them to sleep. Therefore, this situation leads owners to become more frustrated also.
- An hour before bedtime try to send signals that show that it’s the end of the day. No exercises should be done during this time.
- An hour before bedtime close the blinds, lower the noise of tv and other devices, and dime the light.
- In order to calm down a chihuahua in both mind and body brush their coat with long, easy strokes in a quiet setting.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: My Chihuahua Barks at Night
6. cars people, and other dogs
All dogs can become very excited when they see someone outside. Chihuahuas also may become very hyper and crazy when they see dogs, or people, or some other animals like squirrels.
- Daily walks are very important for chihuahuas because during these daily walks you introduce them to the world which includes cars, dogs, other pets, and people. The constant exposure to these elements will help chihuahua to consider them as normal things.
By using this way once a day you will notice that your maniac chihuahua will turn slowly into a calm dog. Within the weeks outside stimuli will lose their significance.
YOU CAN ALSO CHECK: How to help a chihuahua that is scared of his world?
7. Poor quality food
Just like humans, a poor diet can affect a person’s mood. As result foods lucking the proper nutrients like protein, vitamins… Can alter a dog’s behavior.
So, in order to avoid your chihuahua being hyper bring her high-quality dog food specially made for small breeds. While choosing their food avoid foods that have wheat and corn as the main ingredient.
YOU CAN ALSO CHECK: The best snacks for a Chihuahua
8. bad feeding schedule
Because of their size, their blood sugar can reach its spikes and dips levels, which can affect their mood.
Feeding is related to the age of chihuahua, food must always be available for puppies. Concerning adults, the owner must feed them twice per day.
9. Health issue
Training is good for your hyper chihuahua to calm her down, however, if this behavior is related to a health issue that is causing her to act hyper, additional training won’t work.
Take your chihuahua to the vet for a check-up ASAP to make sure that your little dog is super healthy.
10. Set yourself as the leader
All dogs are pack animals, chihuahuas are no exception, they need a leader to guide them. Therefore, in the absence of a human leader, your chihuahua may take the opportunity to set himself as the pack’s leader, this way he will become hyper and aggressive and the rest of your pets will become nervous.
Show your pets that you are the leader, do it in a soft way, don’t be aggressive. Don’t let your chihuahua display any unwanted behavior, be consistent until your dog listens to your orders. In addition, when your dog is overly excited, never praise him.
11. Send the right messages
You have to put in mind that your chihuahua always pays attention a lot to your reactions and then they take them seriously. For this reason, you have to react the right way. For example, when your chihuahua displays unwanted behaviors don’t show any attention. However, when the dog is cal give him attention and why not treats.
Following the above guidelines will help the owner to create a calmer ambiance and a super healthy chihuahua.