Chihuahuas are lively creatures, energetic, and they are able to become overexcited very easily. As a chihuahua parent, you may find yourself frustrated with your dog that becomes exceeding hyper with no signs of slowing down. Therefore, you may ask yourself how to calm down a hyper chihuahua?
When a chihuahua is excited about something or has a negative feeling like frustration and nervousness, he may become hyper.
In this article we will cover the following elements:
- why a chihuahua may be super hyper?
- how to calm down your chihuahua?
- how to help a puppy handle things in a calmer manner?
Constant hyper behavior all-day
There are certain causes that push chihuahuas to become super hyper and to act out of control. However, some chihuahuas can be hyper all day.
There 3 reasons for this sort of behavior.
1. Penned energy-
Most of the chihuahuas are not lazy and have a high level of energy. Even a small dog who has a very high amount of energy to expend. He may become hyper when he has no method to expend his energy.
When a chihuahua is feeling bored, he may become hyper because of this.
A chihuahua may explode at a certain point of frustration.
These 3 elements together can lead to all sorts of frenzied behavior, such as excessive barking, jumping around, begging, etc.
Triggers and how to calm a chihuahua down.
Normally this breed of dog gets along very well with children.
But some chihuahuas simply can”t tolerate children”s behavior like constant touching, being handled, noise, and running around the dog.
- The chihuahua must have his private and quiet area, the area must still be close to the family. This private area is where the dog can go any time that he wishes.
Going to That area must be a positive thing and not a punishment. There must be what the chihuahua loves, like chews, etc.
- Set limits, teach children proper handling techniques, give them times when they can play with your dog.
- Control the beginning signs of becoming hyper before your chihuahua reaches a boiling point, lead him to his private area and instruct children to calm down.
while doing this your chihuahua will learn that he can control his environment and can choose to play and rest in a calm atmosphere.
2. Pent up energy
Despite its size, this breed has an incredible amount of energy. without having a way to expend this high level of energy your chihuahua can become very hyper.
- Two daily walks are a must. if your chihuahua is hyper then you should take him to walk a minimum of 2 times per day. You have to use a harness, not a collar and the walks must be brisk.
- Try to do daily walks even if the weather doesn’t allow it.
Two walks per day prevent the dog from becoming hyper inside the house.
3. Foot traffic
If your chihuahua’s food area or toy area is too close to foot traffic, he may become very frustrated and hyper.
Sometimes the chihuahua has something that he considers his belongings, like some toys, beds.., and when he’s close to his belongings he may become so frustrated which leads him to become hyper.
This rule can be applied to the chihuahua’s food area.
- Find a good place for your chihuahua’s toy bin and try to show everyone in the house that it is the dog’s personal property.
- Place your chihuahua’s food area well away from where people sit or walk by. try to find a quiet place that can be better for your chihuahua.
4. lack of stimulation
it is common for dogs to have such a high energy level for this reason they need to see a thing, smell things, chew things, and inspect things.
- have a weekly 30-minute adventure. take your chihuahua to adventure at least once a week to let his canine senses to use. You will notice how much this can calm down your chihuahua.
- Having an awesome toy collection is an excellent way to avoid boredom and give your dog no time to become hyperactive due to frustrated boredom dog parents try to carefully choose some quality toys that are created to stimulate a chihuahua’s mind.
- 30 minutes a day of interaction. try to give 30 minutes from your daily schedules or from one of your family members to spend with your hyper chihuahua.
- During these 30 minutes trying to play some recommended games with your chihuahuas such as fetch.
Going for a walk without playing or without distraction in which the chihuahua is able to be mentally stimulated doesn’t count.
When you finished the session but your chihuahua is still hyper just let’s keep playing and in order to prevent this use a finishing word like “done”.
When you are inside the house, ignore any hyper behavior.
5. it is hard to calm down my chihuahua at night
There are some chihuahuas that have trouble calming down at night or they become more active when it’s time for them to sleep. Therefore, the owners may ask a lot of questions.
- An hour before bedtime try to send signals that show that it’s the end of the day. No exercises should be done during this time.
- An hour before bedtime close the blinds, lower the noise of tv and other devices, and dime the light.
- In order to calm down a chihuahua in both mind and body brush their coat with long, easy strokes in a quiet setting.
6. cars people, and other dogs
Some chihuahuas become hyperactive and crazy when they see outside stimuli such as people, cars, and dogs.
- Try to make your chihuahua face the outside sun when you take him for a walk. This constant exposure will lessen their importance.
By using this way once a day you will notice that your maniac chihuahua will turn slowly into a calm dog.
Within the weeks outside stimuli will lose their significance.