Chihuahuas are active pets. Daily activities such as jumping, running, etc are a must when it comes to your chihuahua. Good joint health is crucial to a happy, active chihuahua for several years. However, joint pain and issues can be shared among chihuahuas – especially for these tiny pets – and especially when they become old.
Even humans who have arthritis in their joints can tell you how bad this experience is. Because it can change badly your lifestyle. The same goes for our chihuahuas, this is why maintaining your dog’s joint health is a priority.
Common joint pain conditions to examine in chihuahuas
Some breeds of dogs including chihuahuas, German Shepherds, Golden and Labrador Retrievers, Saint Bernards, and other heavy giant breeds are genetically prey to joint issues. These dog breeds often suffer from conditions like hip dysplasia and/or elbow dysplasia. These health issues are very painful. They can cause chronic health concerns.
If these conditions aren’t properly and quickly treated. They can sometimes result in more serious conditions too. Chihuahuas experience and show pain much differently than humans. However, it can be easy to see early signs of joint pain in your chihuahua dog. These symptoms are: your chihuahua is slowing down, limping, or dragging his feet. When you notice them it may be time to intervene.
On this note here are some of the most popular sources of joint pain in chihuahuas:
- Elbow Dysplasia: This is a health issue caused by the irregular growth of, tissue, cells, or bone. Which results in malformation and degradation of the elbow joint.
- Hip Dysplasia: This is a condition of the hip where the ball and socket joint are malformed. This is why the ball portion and its socket don’t precisely meet one another. This led to joint movements of rubbing and grinding instead of smoothly sliding movements. The probable causes of this condition are genetic predisposition for hip looseness, weight issues, and some nutritional problems. Also, other factors like a lack of pelvic muscle mass to aid the hips.
- Luxating Patellas: Chihuahuas and many smaller breeds suffer from issues with their patellas. This condition happens when the chihuahua’s kneecap (patella) is slipped off from its natural position in the groove of the thigh bone.
How to support healthy joints in chihuahuas
Regardless of how healthy is your chihuahua dog. There are healthy habits you should add to your daily routine to enhance the joints of your tiny furry friend.
- Exercise your chihuahua puppy adequately: It’s very important to keep in mind that while your puppy is still in the growth stages-Especially during the first 12 months- avoid intense and hard exercises. In other words, don’t take your chihuahua puppy for very long walks. Prevent her/him from jumping on and off high furniture or up and down stairs too much.
- Weight management: You should keep your chihuahua at a healthy weight all of her life. Chiefly during the growth phases when bones are still soft and fragile. It is advisable to keep your chihuahua at an appropriate weight to reduce the risk of strain on its joints.
- Make sure that your adult chihuahua is in perfect physical condition: To support healthy joints. You have to keep your mature chihuahua in good physical condition and shape. In other words, the dog should have the muscle mass to lift its joints. When you help your chihuahua to strengthen his muscles following regular exercise and help keep him at his optimal weight. You are providing your chihuahua the best chance to enjoy a happy and healthy life.
Nutrition and ingredients that can reinforce your chihuahua’s joints
In addition to exercise and weight management. Nutrition has a very crucial role in boosting healthy joints. Fortunately, there are wonderful, superfood ingredients available that can help your dog to have healthy joints. This is why it’s important to do your research before choosing the best food for your chihuahua puppy.
Here are some ingredients to examine when it comes to supporting joints pain and your tiny friend’s diet:
- Omega-3s: fishes in general, especially Salmon are an outstanding source of Omega-3s. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory that can help senior chihuahuas suffering from arthritis. Also, Omega-3s help important health functions in puppies like brain development. Fish oil and krill oil are other important sources of Omega-3s.
- New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels: These species of mussels can be found in New Zealand. Their color is dark brown/green with green lips around the edges. For this reason, people call them Green-lipped Mussels. They are a natural source of chondroitin and omega 3’s. In addition, They have a special omega-3 fatty acid, Eicosatetraenoic acid (ETA). Which is a potent anti-inflammatory. These ingredients are the key to supporting hip and joint health, as well as healthy mobility.
- Eggshell Meal: It is a simply dried, ground eggshell that is a natural source of calcium. that promotes strong bones. Additionally, it contains an eggshell membrane. Which is a source of glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, and collagen to support overall joint health.
Just like humans, eating well as we get older is just as important for our dogs. Fortunately, there are special recipes that support joint health. That also provides perfectly balanced and minimally processed goodness to support your chihuahua’s health throughout his life. So, whether you are the parent of a senior chihuahua that you are trying to keep healthy and fit as he/she matures or a puppy that you think is more susceptible to joint problems. There are various nutrition options available to support optimal joint health in your chihuahua.
Here is an example of a recipe that you can prepare yourself :
Regardless of your chihuahua’s age, and size when it comes to joint health in dogs, there are no guarantees. But, as your tiny chihuahua ages, he will at the least experience joint stiffness if nothing else. Put in mind that our chihuahuas depend on us to do what’s best for their health and happiness. Retaining your chihuahua in good physical shape and providing him with balanced nutrition from an early age will certainly help support your dog’s overall joint health. Finally, it will allow them to live a long, and healthy life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: