Have you been thinking about purchasing a Chihuahua toy pet? but you don’t know which is better to have between the male and the female? It can cause such chaos in your brain trying to figure out which one to choose at the end. However, this piece of article is meant to guide you through what to look for. So that you can have your perfect pick. Also, there are various factors that you’d need to consider. Male vas female chihuahuahua? what to choose?
For one, you need to know the peculiar behaviors and personalities each will exhibit. Do you have other Chihuahua pets already? Which one did you prefer then? Or then, if you have a female, you can try a male now and vice versa if you already own a male Chihuahua. If you do choose a female, then make sure to know the traits it has and the likelihood of a litter of puppies. On the other hand, if you settle on a male, familiarize yourself with some of the male traits most dogs have. Otherwise, you can choose if you want a spayed or neutered Chihuahua.
In this section, we will cover:
- Physical Differences
- Trainability differences
- The differences in behavior With Other Dogs
- Getting along with children
- Temperamental Differences
- Health differences
- With Other Pets especially cats
- What to choose for my family male or female?
The chihuahua male as we can notice is a little taller than the chihuahua female by about two inches. He can grow up to 9 inches. But, they weigh the same, they both never surpass 6 pounds due to their small body structure.
Dog females are always shorter than males regardless of their size. Concerning a chihuahua female, the height can achieve 7 inches, while the weight can be between 4 and 6 pounds.
When the chihuahua dog is still a newborn it’s difficult to tell his or her sex. Some breeders may consider a female’s vulva as a penis because of its size. And this is a false prediction.
To make difference between a female and male when you have a newborn chihuahua puppy. Roll gently over the newborn and check near its anus. If you see an opening near its anus, this means you have a female chihuahua, and if you notice a tiny penis near the belly, it’s a male chihuahua.
Chihuahuas are not the smartest dogs out there. However, they can show a good enthusiasm towards training. Also, in terms of obedience, they are good, just like larger dogs.
Chihuahua can be perfect if the training and socialization were good enough when the dog is still a puppy. Even with their little body, they can show an endless amount of energy.
So what is the difference between the both concerning their ability to be trained?
Chihuahuas males tend to have to ability to learn faster because they naturally love their owners and try to please them. They do good with commands and memorize them forever once they recognize them.
They prefer that their owners praise and reward them during training. Harsh treatment is not a good way to follow when you train a chihuahua male.
They get bored very fast especially when you order them to sit for a long time of period. They could e rebellious and they show it by barking, nipping, or ignoring commands. The owner can overcome this by consistent training.
Just like males chihuahua females are quick learners, it’s a little hard to train them to obey. Teaching females require more patience and will take a long time. Unlike males even if they once learned a command, there is a probability that they will forget it. Just like males they also love to be praised regardless of the praise way.
THIS ARTICLE MAY HELP: Training Your Chihuahua
The differences in behavior With Other Dogs
Chihuahuas males and females can live together with other dogs under the same roof if they are well trained.
But the owners must be very prudent when they try to mix chihuahuas with other dog breeds. The larger dogs must be good companions to your chihuahua. As they can easily hurt a chihuahua if they are not able to be calm
The size of chihuahuas makes them look like prey especially when they run. As a result, this fact can trigger the instinct of hunting and chasing that some larger dogs have, like retrievers and hounds.
Chihuahua males can be good with other larger dogs. They can show some aggression when the owner introduces them for the first time. However, within the days they can become calm and comfortable.
Another fact to take into consideration is that chihuahua males won’t try to be the leaders of the pack, which means that they won’t show any dominance over other dogs. Also, because they love to play they are more friendly with other larger dogs.
Female chihuahuas are fierce with other dogs. Even with their small size, they can show huge courage towards other dogs especially female dogs.
They are afraid and can’t feel comfortable when they are surrounded by other larger dogs. However, they never show it.
To establish a good climate in your house, to have to show your dogs that you are the leader of the pack, especially for female chihuahuas. Try to send them the message and that they are safe.
Getting along with children
Naturally, chihuahuas tend to be comic, they can build good bonds with children. However, we mean children who are over age ten, as they are old enough to handle the vulnerabilities of these tiny creatures. Parent also must learn their children how to interact with chihuahuas before bringing them home.
Noises that children make when they play or run near chihuahua push chihuahua to be overwhelmed. When chihuahuas are in a place crowded with kids, this means that they are at risk because at any time a kid can run over them.
Males love to play more than females. As a result, sometimes they may get hurt when the playfulness is too much.
To avoid harsh play the owner must set boundaries, such as the playing area, and time. Also, the chihuahua must have her private place or crate.
Females always have strong relationships with their owners. They can play with children but not for a long time. They tend to be protective and serious.
As a result, Time to play with chihuahua is crucial. You must teach your children that obliging chihuahuas to play can lead to unwanted results like aggression towards them.
In addition, tell your offspring to not touch these tiny creatures when they are sleeping or when they eat. Remind them that approaching chihuahua must be in a gentle way.
READ ALSO THIS ARTICLE: Chihuahuas and Children. Can they get along?
Chihuahuas have a good reputation as toy dogs thanks to their good qualities such as prettiness. They are known to be loyal to just when one particular person and cautious with others, this makes them good watchdogs to their owners.
The differences in chihuahuas’ temperament have a direct relationship with the fact if they are neutered or spayed and their environment. This fact can result in some behavior issues.
Male chihuahuas puppies are more kind compared to their female counterparts. They can be loyal and protective. They are able to create a particular connection with their family members.
Males are more calm, easy to get along with, and more tender compared with females. They demand their owner’s attention, and they always want to be pleased by their owners, this fact makes their training easy.
Also, they can stay in a corner without any noise to let you do what you want such as watching tv…
When they grow they may become a little dominant over their owner because of their DNA. However, they never show harsh aggressiveness.
Yet, you must take into consideration that the temperament of male chihuahua depends a lot on whether they are neutered or not.
Unneutered male chihuahua puppies can be a little bit aggressive. They may show some ‘marking’ behavior to show their areas and ownership.
Sometimes they will not control their hormones, which makes them run a lot, chasing a female chihuahua and humping behaviors.
Unneutered males can develop easily some health diseases.
They are the best option for families living in smaller homes or apartments because they are loyal, calm, and less bitchy than male chihuahuas.
Because of their maternal instinct, they bark a lot compared to their male counterparts, this way they show protectiveness toward their owners. chihuahua females can also become dominant over their males.
They love to get attention, but not like the males. female chihuahua loves that their owners handle them all the time in their laps.
Unlike the male, an unspayed female has little effect on their behavior.
However, when they are in heat their mood will change in unexpected ways. The heat cycle takes place every six or nine months. During this period which can last a month, you may get angry as their blood mixes with their urine.
YOU CAN ALSO CHECK: Behavior and Temperament of chihuahua
Regardless of their sex, they both are an easy prone to some health issues because of their size.
They can develop hydrocephalus and eyes injuries when they get older. They also can’t resist cold weather.
Male chihuahuas, cal also suffer from cryptorchidism. This medical condition describes undescended testicles in dogs. Any dog breed can develop this health issue.
The owner must treat this issue as soon as possible, as it can lead to some other problems like cancer and some behavioral problems such as aggression.
Prostate cancer is another issue that a male dog can face during his life. Neutering reduces the chance to develop this problem.
Neutering a male chihuahua has other advantages, such as reducing aggressiveness, humping, chasing dogs…
During the heat cycle, a chihuahua female can show some new behaviors like being anxious, more uninterested…
Chihuahua females can also develop cancer just like males.
Chihuahua females can also face some harsh situations that can lead to their death such as being infected with pyometra in their uterus. Spaying can help to avoid this situation.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: Common Signs your chihuahua is Ill and Tips for a Happy Healthy chihuahua
With Other Pets especially cats
Chihuahuas have outstanding eyes, which means that they have easily eye injuries.
If you have a cat already in your house, think about the above fact before bringing any chihuahua. Because cats are larger and use scratching as a defense tool.
So instead, try to introduce pets to each other at a very young age. By doing so you can make them become great pets. Don’t underestimate chihuahuas, as they can be leaders of their pack even with their small size.
The qualities of chihuahua males such as quick learning, fun-loving character, and sociability can make them good friends to other house pets.
In other words, it’s easier for chihuahua males to live with other pets under the same roof.
Because of their protective instinct, chihuahua females tend to be more attached o their owners and highly vigilant of other animals.
They won’t hide their dominance inside the house, they will bark and make their territories clear. They crave to become the ‘alpha’ in the household. In fact, female chihuahua will take a longer period to get familiar with other pets.
What to choose for my family male or female?
Chihuahuas in general are great pets, they get along with families as they are good companions. Their good personally traits combined with their small and cute size make them ideal.
For the reason above it’s not fair to do a comparison between them both because. However, In order to make it easy for you to choose a female or male, we will guide you by showing you a list of some advantages of having a female and a male.
Advantages of Male Chihuahuas:
- Very energetic
- Follow learned commands
- Easily content
- Not moody
Advantages of Female Chihuahuas
- They don’t need a lot of attention like males
- They don’t show their dominance
- Less tough
- They don’t hump
You have to put in mind that chihuahuas are influenced by two factors. Firstly, their genetics, secondly their environments.
Summary of The different traits in male and female Chihuahuas:
- In terms of affection, the male Chihuahua is more affectionate than its female counterpart. The female Chihuahua tend to be bossy and independent, which may be the main reason why they don’t show much love.
- Female Chihuahuas are more temperamental than their male counterparts. However, in terms of aggressiveness, the male Chihuahua takes the lead. This is no surprise though since most females, whether human or animal, all tend to be moodier while the males are aggressive.
- Male Chihuahuas that haven’t been neutered possess some traits that you may not be happy with. They are known to mark their territory, which means you will find them either peeing on the floors, walls, carpet, or even on your seats. This can be annoying sometimes but you can rectify it by either potty-training him or having him get neutered.
Other differences to take into consideration :
- Dealing with a female Chihuahua can get a bit difficult especially if she has not been spayed. This is because they will have heat cycles that can get messy and unpleasant. And at the same time can easily get pregnant which is another complication on its own. So if you aren’t looking to breed your Chihuahua, you can consider purchasing one that has already been spayed.
- If you put a female and male Chihuahua in the same room, you will observe that the male tends to be cool, calm, and submissive whereas the female will dominate over the make. Talk about girl power! The female barks a lot compared to the male.
- What food do I feed my Chihuahua once I bring it home? There are plenty of dog foods out there but it is advisable to feed your Chihuahua high-quality food that will add nutritional value to its body.
- In addition to which is more prominent over the other. Female Chihuahuas have a higher concentration during a learning session and will learn faster than male Chihuahuas. On the other hand, the male Chihuahua tends to act silly and clumsy which makes them all adorable and fun to watch.
What else to consider before settling for a male or female Chihuahua
It can be a hard choice whether you want the male or the female Chihuahua. They both have their good side and bad as well and owning either is a privilege. However, just knowing the different traits and personalities the Chihuahua possesses isn’t enough to settle yet.
Here is the list of other factors to consider:
- Do you have other dogs in your household, if yes what’s their gender and breed? It may not entirely be a huge deal but it is nice to ensure that when you bring a Chihuahua home. It will be comfortable as they tend to be very picky. Needless to say, not all dog breeds can co-exist under one roof.
- If there are other dogs in the neighborhood; knowing the type of dogs out there will help you choose whether a female chi or a male chi will fit in. This will apply if and only if your dog gets out to play and in the occasional routine dog walks. Otherwise, if it is meant for indoors alone, then it may not have such a huge impact on your decision.
- What kind of diseases the male and female chi are likely to contract or develop with time. The most common disease a male will probably get at one point in life is prostate cancer. While the female can develop ovarian cancer. Neutering and spaying help reduce the chances of these diseases in Chihuahuas.
- Finally, you can consider the distance proximity of the veterinarian to your house. You may never know when your pet will need immediate medical attention or when a life-threatening situation will surface itself.
Knowing the basics about both genders can help you decide what to choose, and define the responsibilities with your choice. Hopefully, now you can make up your mind and bring home the Chihuahua that you feel best will meet your demands.