These tiny dogs are adorable, affectionate, amusing, loyal, and require more care and attention. Are you considering adding a Teacup Chihuahua to your household? And you are asking about the price of a teacup chihuahua?
In fact, there are various factors that can determine the price of this dog breed including the reputation of the breeder, your location, and inflation. However, the cost of a teacup chihuahua will never be more than the price of a standard chihuahua.
The price range anywhere from $300 to $5,000. In this article, we will dive deep and will talk about the reasons behind the costs of having a Teacup chihuahua.
How Much Does A Teacup Chihuahua Cost?
You will come across some classified ads that offer a teacup chihuahua puppy often between $500 and $2000. On the other side, there are registered breeders that can be more expensive, offering a Teacup Chihuahua Puppy for between $1500 and $5000. Their price may seem too high, but you should put in mind that registered breeders will certainly provide you with a healthy Teacup chihuahua puppy. But, if you want to adopt a puppy, rescues may ask you to pay adoption fees as low as $300. These fees include the puppy’s deworming, spaying or neutering, and its first set of vaccinations.
Getting a Teacup chihuahua Puppy From A Breeder
You should put in mind that canine organizations such as The AKC don’t recognize or register Teacup chihuahua. But, there are some reputable breeders who can offer a Teacup chihuahua puppy asking for high prices compared to classified ads and rescues. In addition, a chihuahua is considered a Teacup only when the dog is a year old, and is weighing less than four pounds, and is still less than seventeen inches. To have a litter of Teacup chihuahuas, breeders choose the smallest dogs from litters of standard chihuahuas and bred them.
Buying a teacup chihuahua puppy from a reputable breeder is always the best option. However, the breeders are so expensive because of the following reasons:
- Various health tests are performed on the dog’s parents to guarantee that their litter won’t get any debilitating health issues.
- They put time, knowledge, and effort to get a healthy Teacup chihuahua puppy.
- After delivery, the veterinarian will examine the puppies.
- Puppies get their set of first vaccinations and deworming.
This is why you have to expect to pay between $1500 and $5000 for a healthy Teacup chihuahua puppy from a breeder.
Getting a Teacup chihuahua puppy from a rescue
In order To adopt a dog, There are Adoption expenses you have to pay for rescues. In general, small puppies such as chihuahua puppies will have higher fees. However, what you should know is that the fees that you pay are not for you to buy the puppy. In fact, you are paying them for the care and vetting they provided, and to help them to take care of other needy pets.
The price that you will pay in order to adopt a Teacup chihuahua is between $300-$500. In some cases, puppies can come into rescues in a bad condition and the rescues will do all that it takes to keep them alive and healthy. What you should put in mind is that a rescue can spend thousands of dollars to cure a sick puppy. For this reason, most rescues depend on donations to help them.
On the other side, when your puppy is healthy, the veterinarian will perform a set of vaccination, an exam, and a spay/neuter surgery. Therefore, the rescue will charge you a fee that covers this cost and some extra money that will help vet other pets. In some situations, due to the small weight of your puppy, the vet can not spay or neuter it. They may then give you a receipt to do the surgery when the puppy reaches the appropriate weight.
The negative side of adoption is that the puppies are not always purebred, but mixes. For this reason, you should not expect to get a full-blooded Teacup chihuahua all time. You may end up getting a crossbreed such as Pomchi, or a Chiweenie. These canines are also adorable furry friends, but if you want to get a purebred Teacup chihuahua you should buy the puppy from a breeder as mentioned earlier in this article.
Getting a puppy from Online stores
Most online stores are not under control especially when it comes to pets. Anyone can sell anything there and can write any description he/she wants. The prices are often seductive as they are usually low. For example, on Craiglist, some people may offer Teacup chihuahua puppies for sale for $500 to $2000. This price is cheaper compared to a reputable breeder.
Here are the reasons why it is not advisable to get your Teacup chihuahua from online stores :
- The puppy can inherit health issues because her parents weren’t genetically tested. In other words, You have to expect some health problems to pass to the puppy.
- A puppy’s cheap price always means high vet bills, because online stores puppies often don’t get their vaccinations, or deworming.
- There are some difficult health issues to treat such as intestinal parasites you should expect when you are Buying a puppy from online stores. These parasites are difficult to treat when it is too late.
- There are additional health issues that a puppy from an online store can get such as upper respiratory infections, Parvo, and eye infections. This later can affect the whole litter if the owner is not experienced or responsible.
- Finally, getting a puppy online means probably getting a sick one.
Costs of health exams
There are some health tests that breeders do before breeding Teacup chihuahua including:
- Ophthalmic diseases. The cost of this test is generally between $50-$75 per dog, and a certified veterinary ophthalmologist should do it. In addition, the owner must do this test on any actively breeding dogs on a yearly basis.
- Heart murmurs. This condition is common in small dogs such as chihuahuas. There are various severity levels of this health condition that a vet can detect through a stethoscope. In some cases, when the severity level is too high the vet may order you not to use the dog for breeding. Anyhow, the price of this exam is between $50-$150.
- Hip dysplasia. This can happen when the hip of your chihuahua is dislocated. The cost of the X-rays exam is anywhere from $200-$400.
- Patella luxation. The cost of this exam can vary between $50 and $150. This condition occurs when there is a sliding of the kneecap. This then will oblige the dog to carry his back legs as he walks. Also, this condition is common in dogs, and some situations may need surgery.
Annual expenses of owning a Teacup Chihuahua
There are some expenses you will have to add when you welcome a new Teacup chihuahua puppy into your home. Thes costs include yearly medical checkups, vaccinations, and the puppy’s supplies.
Food and toy prices
Generally, these tiny creatures won’t require a big amount of food. In fact, a Teacup chihuahua puppy will need to eat a half cup of dry food per day, divided into three meals. The quantity can be augmented by ¾ of a cup per day, divided into three meals to make sure that the puppy doesn’t suffer from hypoglycemia. Normally, a teacup chihuahua should eat high-quality dry kibble because of their special metabolism and small body. The cost of a bag is anywhere from $40 to $80. It also depends on the size of the bag and the brand. In addition, the cost of treats is $10-20, but give them to your puppy moderately to avoid some problems like weight and stomach issues.
There are different toys that you can buy for your teacup chihuahua that can cost anywhere from $2-$25. However, the toys should be small, with no parts that a dog can swallow, and, not facilely destructible.
Teacup chihuahuas are tiny dogs, which means that they are not safe all-times. Owners can’t always walk with these tiny dogs on a leash, as they can be mistaken for prey by larger dogs or other animals such as hawks. In addition, they can get lost without parental control. Therefore, having a chihuahua carrier is a must to keep your dog safe. This can cost $25-$200. The price is related to quality and the brand. Furthermore, Teacup chihuahuas can get cold easily, which means that you should buy them sweaters, blankets, and beds especially if you are leaving in a cold area. They can cost between $20-$50.
Yearly Vet Costs
To keep your dog healthy and prevent diseases, a yearly vet exam is crucial. Obviously, Teacup chihuahuas are prone to some health conditions, this is why yu should take your dog to your vet on a yearly basis to check him/her for any signs of popular health problems like :
- Dental issues. In some cases, there are some operations that the vet may recommend in order to keep the teeth and gum of your dog clean and healthy. For example, the cost of dental cleaning can cost anywhere from $400 to $800, and the extraction can cost $500+. However, in order to prevent these issues, you have to clean your dog’s teeth on a daily basis.
- Luxating patellas. This condition is early mentioned in this article. It will require surgery to fix it, the price that you should expect is between $1500-$3000 per knee.
- Hydrocephalus or water on the brain. This condition can lead to serious damage to your dog’s brain and can even lead to death. The vet may recommend buying some medication that can cost $20-$100 per month. In some cases, in order to reduce the build-up of fluid on the brain, the vet may insert a shunt that redirects the fluid on the rain to the abdomen. This operation can cost between $5000-$10,000.
You have to keep in mind that there are other health issues that can happen unexpectedly to your Teacup chihuahua. For example, their fragile bones can be easily broken, which means emergency treatments which means additional costs. Hypoglycemia is also another health issue that can occur, to prevent this you have to feed your tiny dog small and frequent meals.
There are other monthly expenses that you should add, such as nail trimming. In case you are not an experienced dog owner you will need to pay a professional groomer or a vet $20-40 every month.
taking into consideration the costs of All your chihuahua’s needs is part of being a pet responsible owner. The price of your Teacup chihuahua puppy is just the start. You have also to consider things or items that are associated with buying a dog. Foods, vet bills, toys, accessories, emergency medical bills, etc are all important in order to provide your chihuahua a healthy and happy life.
Bien the parent of the Teacup chihuahua will certainly cost thousands of dollars. The price of a Teacup chihuahua is anywhere between $300 and $5000. It depends on where you buy the puppy. However, to get a healthy Teacup chihuahua puppy, we advise you strongly to buy it from a private breeder who has a good reputation. We know that a private Breeder will ask for a high price but at least you will get a puppy who doesn’t suffer from birth defects.
Furthermore, the costs of veterinary per year depend on your chihuahua’s overall health. It can cost a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
Providing high-quality dry food to your chihuahua will cost $40-$80. Accessories and toys are also very important for your puppy, they can cost between $20-$100. To keep your Teacup chihuahua puppy safe while you are traveling or walking, buying a carrier is a must and it can cost between $25-$200.
Finally, the price of a teacup chihuahua puppy depends on where you buy your puppy from, and how you are willing to take care of your dog. As we said before, it is advisable to buy your Teacup chihuahua puppy from a credible, responsible breeder.
You May Also Like:
Leave a Comment